An Alaskan cruise is on many people’s bucket lists, so we won’t spend time telling you how amazing it is. There are a few different cruise lines to choose from based on the type of group you’re going with, and your budget. You also have a variety of options for excursions during your cruise. We went through suggestions from our contributors to bring you the most highly recommended activities to take advantage of,
- Discover the glaciers by helicopter for an experience you’ll never forget. Once there, you can do a walking tour or add on dog sledding. You will meet professional mushers and friendly dogs and even get to participate by standing on the sled to mush, or just staying seated in the sled.
- Take advantage of the railroad tour options that are great for all ages. You can take a train up to the summit of the White Pass and travel through the mountains (great photo ops!)
- If you want to make your own adventure, rent a car in Skagway and use the Murray Guide to drive out to Emerald Lake. Don’t forget to stop for photos along the way!
- If you want to take it easy at this port, you can walk to the Rangers station and participate in the Junior Rangers program for free. You can also go for a walk around town and visit the cute shops, or head out for some kid-friendly hiking.
- If you’re traveling with kids, don’t miss the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. The show is located just 1 block from the cruise ship docks and is very child-friendly. Sit upfront for a chance to be part of the action.
- Visit a Totem Pole Park to view incredible Native American Totem Poles. You will also see many while walking through downtown Ketchikan.
- Take a flightseeing tour to the Misty Fjords National Monument via flightplane. You will get an unparalleled view of the mountains, forests
andwildlife from high in the sky.
- Our contributors highly recommend the bear watching tour while you are at this port. You have a few tour options to choose from. But regardless of your choice, you will have an amazing experience, with the photos to prove it.
- The most recommended excursion in Juneau is a visit to Mendenhall Glacier. You can travel there by bus, car, or via a tour. Once you get there, you can walk for a mile to the glacier. Many say this is the best option to visit a glacier if you have people in your group who cannot go on a helicopter tour. If you go via a tour, you can even canoe out to the glacier.
- Whale watching is a great excursion that can be enjoyed by most ages, and a relaxing way to enjoy your time at Juneau. This can also be combined with other excursions.
- Get up in the air with a glacier dog sledding and helicopter tour. This is similar to the excursion from Skagway.
Alaska’s beauty is unrivaled. By doing a land-sea combo (cruise with excursions), you really get to explore its beauty from all directions. Have you been on a cruise to Alaska? Tell us about it below!
If you’d like to be part of the Families Who Love To Travel community and have your voice heard, please join our Facebook group.
Everyone knows that Yellowstone National Park makes for a classic family vacation. Strolling the boardwalks...
Beaches Turks and Caicos may not seem like a typical vacation destination for a UK...
If you’re traveling to the Cayman Islands with kids, there’s some important information you need...
Travel Gift Ideas
National Park With Kids
Family Travel Tips
Families Who Love To Travel contributor Meghan Oaks provides her 10 best tips for your...
In our group, we often get questions about keeping little ones occupied in transit, especially...
Cruising is a great option for families with babies who want to relax and not...