By Sasha Robinson
Lisbon is an excellent place for a family adventure, even with young children. You will find so many family activities in Lisbon, good food and great music that the whole family will love. I’m sharing our favorite activities and tips for your next trip.
Where to Stay:
We stayed at the Intercontinental and while it was fancy, I wouldn’t say it was kid friendly. I would try to stay in Chiado.
What to Eat:
Forno d’Oro has great pizza, but definitely requires reservations. I also liked eating at Time Out Market for the variety. If your kids need something familiar, there is a McDonald’s right across from Pasteis de Belem near Jeronimos Monastery.
Favorite Family Lisbon Activities:
1. A tuk-tuk tour of the Alfama neighborhood is a great option for families
2. Go on a self-guided tour of Belem (start at Torre de Belem, walk by Padrão dos Descobrimentos, walk the MAAT steps, cross over and visit Jeronimos Monastery, and finish by grabbing pasteis at Pasteis de Belem.
3. My daughter loved listening to the live musicians at the base of the Santa Justa Lift, along with going up the lift and seeing the view at the Miradouro at the top. Going at sunset is the best time for great views. Walk to Carmo Convent next to the Miradour and learn the history of fires and earthquakes in Lisbon.
4. I would advise against the Oceanarium as it was not as good as expected and quite far from other attractions.
1. Pena Palace is a fairy tale looking castle with bright colors.
Castle of the Moors (Castelo dos Mouros) – the remaining walls only hint at the history.
2. Quinta da Regaleira is a fantastic place to engage the kids’ imaginations with underground tunnels, crazy wells, princess towers, hidden ponds, and so much more on the grounds.
3. Monserrate Palace has intricate and gorgeous carvings and details inside and out.
Tips and Advice:
Kiwitaxi is a good car service where you can schedule your rides online with very little notice. They also supply all types of car seats.
I recommend Raquel Henr for family photos while you’re in Lisbon. Website: photographerinlisbon.com
Have you been to Lisbon with your family? Share your favorite activities below!
If you’d like to be part of the Families Who Love To Travel community and have your voice heard, please join our Facebook group.
Thanks for reading!
Love our content?
Stay in the know by subscribing to our weekly newsletter.
Immerse yourself in a world of limitless exploration by joining us on Instagram at families.love.travel.
Join our vibrant Facebook community, "Families Who Love to Travel," (where family travelers like you can ask for advice and share tips with other families!).
Plus, you can read our latest articles by following our Facebook page.
Shop for Family Travel Memorabilia on Shop Families Love Travel.
In April 2019, I traveled with my parents, sister, and family of five young children...
Take a family trip to Mexico to enjoy the best things to do with kids...
Who’s ready for some fun in the sun at these 9 best Florida beaches for...
Travel Gift Ideas
National Park With Kids
Family Travel Tips
Families Who Love To Travel contributor Meghan Oaks provides her 10 best tips for your...
When you're planning a family vacation, it's important to pack travel toys that will keep...
What are the best travel toys for toddlers? With help from our Facebook community, Families...