There’s no time like the present to start planning your next family vacation – and what better way to get excited than by checking out the top places to travel in 2023 with kids? From theme parks in Disney World to the beaches of California and historic landmarks in Italy, there’s a spot on this list for every type of family travel. See a Broadway show in New York, go island-hopping in Greece, or taste street food in Thailand! So whether you’re looking for an action-packed trip or a more relaxed family getaway, your only challenge will be deciding where to go first. To create this list, we polled our Facebook community of family travelers to identify the top 23 places to travel in 2023 with kids. We’ve also included ideas for where to stay with kids, plus more tips for each location. Keep reading to learn more!
7 Best Places to Travel in the United States with Kids in 2023
The United States is vast and filled with countless incredible places to explore, making it the perfect destination for a family vacation. From the bustling streets of New York City to the magical world of Disney, there is something for everyone to enjoy. To help you narrow your choices, we’ve compiled a list of the top 23 places to travel in 2023 with kids!
New York City
New York City is one of the most popular travel destinations in the world, and for a good reason. There are plenty of kid-friendly activities in the Big Apple for all ages! If you’re looking for educational activities, the American Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art are excellent choices. If you hope to visit a few more museums in NYC, review the Best Museums In NYC By Age For Families. Times Square is also a lot of fun for kids, and plenty of kid-friendly restaurants and cafes are nearby.
Then, don’t miss iconic attractions like the Empire State Building, strolling through Central Park, or shopping on 5th Avenue. Of course, no visit to New York City wouldn’t be complete without seeing Lady Liberty herself. You can take a ferry to see the statue up close and personal. Then, visit Ellis Island to learn more about American history!
Looking for more NYC inspiration? Read this Exciting 7-Day NYC Itinerary With Kids of All Ages.
Where to Stay in New York City with Kids
Need somewhere to stay in New York City with kids? In Lower Manhattan, we recommend the Millennium Downtown New York Hotel in the Financial District. Or, the trendy Greenwich Hotel in Tribeca. Try the Loews Regency New York or Omni Berkshire Place in Midtown Manhattan, which also has a kids’ club. Or, for a true luxury experience, visit the nearby St. Regis New York. If you need more suggestions, read about the top NYC hotels with pools and spacious suites.
If you’re looking for a family-friendly destination rich in history and culture, Washington, DC, is the perfect place to travel in 2023 with kids. Our nation’s capital offers many kid-friendly attractions, from educational museums to outdoor parks and playgrounds. And with so many free attractions, you can save money while exploring all that DC has to offer!
Be sure to take advantage of free Smithsonian museums, many of which are kid-friendly. Little ones will love the National Museum of American History, the National Postal Museum, or the National Air and Space Museum. Read more about these museums in our article featuring the Best Washington DC Museums For Kids By Age.
Of course, don’t forget to stroll down the National Mall to see iconic landmarks like the Lincoln Memorial or Washington Monument! Families can also tour the White House or the Capitol Building to see where the President of the United States makes history. Looking for more things to do in Washington, DC, with kids? Families can also explore Georgetown’s food scene, take a bike tour, and much more! Finally, you can also plan your itinerary around trying these Desserts Escapes: 17 Best Dessert Spots In DC For Families.
Where to Stay in Washington DC with Kids
Families looking for kid-friendly hotels in Washington DC have plenty of options. Take advantage of the indoor pool and stay at The Watergate Hotel. Or, enjoy a special welcome package at The Ritz-Carlton Washington DC. Families can also stay near famous attractions like The White House or the US Capitol Building by booking a stay at the Hyatt Place Washington DC. Or, venture to DuPont Circle and stay at The Darcy. Check out our list of kid-friendly hotels in DC for more hotel suggestions. Or, if you want a home and apartment rental, check out our Airbnb, Vrbo, and our recommendations for the Best Neighborhoods For Families To Stay In Washington DC.
Looking for a kid-friendly destination that has a mix of everything? Look no further than Tennessee! From the bustling city of Nashville to the Great Smoky Mountains, there’s so much to discover as a family throughout the state. It’s undoubtedly one of the top 23 places to travel in 2023 with kids! Wondering where to go in Tennessee? Here are a few options to get you started.
Nashville is known for its music scene, and it’s also a great place for families. Plenty of kid-friendly attractions include the Nashville Zoo, Adventure Science Center, and Frist Art Museum. Don’t forget about famous music venues like the Grand Ole Opry and Ryman Auditorium! Looking for more ideas? Read about the 16 Best Things To Do In Nashville With Kids.
If you plan a 2023 vacation to Nashville with kids, consider staying at one of these family-friendly hotels. Firstly, we recommend the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center. Alternatively, you can stay at great family options like Omni Nashville Hotel, JW Marriott Nashville, and Renaissance Nashville Hotel. More options can be found by reading about the Best Nashville Hotels For Families.
Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg
Pigeon Forge is another excellent destination for families. This small town is located in the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains and is home to Dollywood, one of the most popular theme parks in the country. Be sure also to add nearby Gatlinburg to your itinerary. It’s packed with family-friendly attractions like Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort & Amusement Park and Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditorium. Plan your itinerary for these two great cities using our Exciting Family Itinerary For Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge.
Additional Kid-Friendly Places in Tennessee
- Chattanooga is also worth a visit, with attractions like Ruby Falls, Rock City, and the Chattanooga Zoo. Book your Chattanooga stay with kids at Bluff View Inn or the Chattanooga Choo Choo, which features train-themed rooms! Find more ideas for things to do and family-friendly hotels in Chattanooga by reading 13 Best Things To Do In Chattanooga With Kids.
- Smoky Mountains National Park is one of the best national parks for families, and it is located in Tennessee! This iconic park is home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. And, if you’re lucky, you might even spot unique wildlife!
- Blackberry Farm offers a picturesque location for a family vacation in Tennessee. With everything from hiking to horseback riding, you’ll also have plenty of fun things to do together!
Looking for a sunny vacation spot to take the kids in 2023? Consider Florida! The Sunshine State is home to many family-friendly attractions, from hotels with epic waterparks to scenic national parks. Not to mention, there are plenty of beaches where the whole family can relax and have fun. With stunning weather year-round, it’s no wonder this is one of the best places to travel in 2023 with kids!
Key West is one of the best destinations in Florida for families with children who love the outdoors. Here, you can soak up the sun and surf all day. Then, try water sports like jet skiing, kayaking, snorkeling, and more. Finally, you can also explore Dry Tortugas National Park or Fort Zachary Taylor State Beach Park. Indeed, there are many amazing things to do in Key West with kids. Use this Fun 5-Day Key West Itinerary For Families With Kids to help you plan your own Key West vacation with kids! Key West also has fantastic hotels, like the Key West Marriott Beachside. Find more options by reading about the Best Family Hotels in Key West and the Florida Keys.
Considering a Florida vacation with kids? Miami offers a stunning backdrop for your 2023 family trip. Start your trip by soaking up the sun on South Beach. Then, featuring artists from around the world, Wynwood Walls is one of the best places to see the work of well-known and celebrated street artists. Zoo Miami will be a hit with young kids, while teens can shop along Lincoln Road. Plus, the whole family will love exploring Little Havana together. Indeed, there are plenty of Fantastic Things to Do in Miami with Kids to plan your trip.
Need a place to stay? Consider kid-friendly options like Loews Miami Beach Hotel or Four Seasons Hotel at the Surf Club, Surfside Florida. Not to mention these 6 Best Family Friendly Hotels in Miami (Parents Recommended).
Additional Kid-Friendly Places in Florida
- Orlando is a great option for families who want to visit iconic attractions like Universal Studios Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando. Here, you’ll find various fun things to do and rides for kids of all ages. Book one of the Best Hotels In Orlando With A Waterpark or Lazy River For Families to make your vacation even more epic for kids!
- Naples provides an array of family fun on the Gulf Coast of Florida, including endless beaches, kayaking, golfing, shopping, and more! Families love Naples Botanical Garden and the Naples Zoo. Spend your days making life-long memories with these 11 Amazing Things to Do in Naples with Kids.
- Tallahassee offers a more laid-back vacation for families. Fill your days with museums, historic sites, and parks in Florida’s capital city.
- Beach vacations can be held across the state! Consider unique locations like Amelia Island on the Atlantic Coast, or Sarasota or Destin on the Gulf Coast. Many places showcase soft sand and crystal-clear waters. If you choose the Gulf Coast, add a waterpark hotel to your experience by booking one of the 6 Best Florida Hotels With A Water Park Or Lazy River On The Gulf Coast For Families.
- The Everglades is also one of the top 23 places to travel in 2023 with kids. You can take an airboat tour through the wetlands, go on a hike, or even try your hand at fishing!
Continuing our exploration of Florida, there’s no place more magical for making family memories than Disney World. Certainly, it deserves a spot on this list all its own! From watching parades and fireworks to meeting beloved characters and going on rides, there are so many new things to see and do, no matter how many times you visit. There are four theme parks: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios. Each park has its own unique atmosphere and offerings.
- Magic Kingdom is the classic Disney park, with iconic rides and attractions like It’s A Small World and Cinderella’s Castle.
- Epcot is a more educational park, with rides and attractions focused on science and technology.
- Animal Kingdom is a wilder park, with animal encounters and safari rides.
- Hollywood Studios is all about movies, with rides based on popular films like Star Wars and Toy Story.
Some other can’t-miss experiences at Disney World for 2023 include The Journey of Water (Moana-themed area) at Epcot, the opening of the TRON Lightcycle Power Run at Magic Kingdom, and the return of the Walt Disney World Railroad. Plus, there are sure to be plenty of special events and celebrations taking place throughout the year to mark Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary!
Where to Stay Near Disney World With Kids
Need somewhere to say near Disney World with kids? Families can choose from Disney Deluxe Resorts for families like Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge or Disney’s Beach Club Resort. There are also more moderate options, like Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort. If you’re looking for Disney value resorts, consider staying at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort or Disney’s Pop Century Resort. This is undoubtedly one of the top 23 places to travel in 2023 with kids!
Enjoy the sun, surf, and have fun while taking a family vacation to California! From big cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco to more rural areas like Napa and Lake Tahoe, there’s something for everyone in this West Coast paradise. And with its mild climate, it’s a great place to visit any time of year. Here are a few ideas for locations to start your California adventures.
Families adore San Diego for its mix of perfect weather, gorgeous beaches, and many activities to keep your family entertained for weeks. When you’re not lounging on the beach, you can explore the San Diego Zoo. Families also like planning days at SeaWorld or LEGOLAND®. Plan your trip using the Best 7-Day San Diego Itinerary with Kids.
There are plenty of kid-friendly hotels to choose from in San Diego. To start, consider fantastic options like the Omni San Diego, Hotel del Coronado, or the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego. Then, read our list of the best beachfront hotels in San Diego to learn more! Finally, if you’re planning an extended trip, consider visiting one of the 6 Amazing Weekend Getaways Near San Diego For Families.
With its iconic Golden Gate Bridge and cable cars, this vibrant city has plenty to see and do. Kids will love exploring Fisherman’s Wharf and riding the ferry to Alcatraz Island. Plus, add these 31 Totally Fun Things To Do In San Francisco to your itinerary. Then, just down the coast from San Francisco is Monterey, home to the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium. This hands-on aquarium is a great place for kids to learn about marine life and get up close and personal with some of the ocean’s most incredible creatures.
Families looking for the best kid-friendly hotels in San Francisco can consider the Four Seasons San Francisco, Hotel Fairmont San Francisco, and The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco. Alternatively, in Monterey, stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa or InterContinental the Clement Monterey, an IHG Hotel. Looking for more options? Read about the Best Family Hotels in San Francisco (With Great Options for Large Families & Pools).
Whether you have young kids or teens, Los Angeles is a must-visit. Start by exploring Chinatown, where you can find many fun things to eat. Then, enjoy the view from the Griffith Observatory. Finally, kids will love spending the day at Universal Studios Hollywood. Or, head to Disneyland in nearby Anaheim! Then, you can also add these 10 Exciting Things To Do In Los Angeles With Teens and Preteens to your itinerary.
Additional Kid-Friendly Places in California
- Lake Tahoe is also an excellent ski adventure or lakeside summer vacation option. If you’re headed to Lake Tahoe this summer, don’t miss these Summer Activities in North Lake Tahoe Kids Will Love.
- Joshua Tree National Park is an exciting destination in California for outdoor families. If you’re visiting Joshua Tree National Park, book a stay at the Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa outside Palm Springs.
- UCLA Lake Arrowhead Lodge is perfect for a California family getaway. Certainly, if you’re seeking a kid-friendly resort in California, this is a great nestled in the mountains of the San Bernardino National Forest. It’s approximately two hours from San Diego, and about 90 minutes from Temecula and Los Angeles.
The Islands of Hawaiʻi
There’s no place quite like the Islands of Hawaiʻi. The stunning scenery, the warm ocean waters, and the friendly people—it’s no wonder it’s one of the most popular travel destinations in the world! Plus, it’s the perfect place for families with adventurous teens or tweens, from hiking to biking, zip lining, and so much more. Here are two great options for your Hawai’i getaway with kids!
The capital city of Honolulu on Oʻahu is a great place to start your adventure. Visit Diamond Head Crater, relax on Waikīkī Beach, or explore Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial. Oʻahu is also home to some of the most beautiful hiking trails in the world, like the Mānoa Falls Trail or these other options. With 27 Awesome Things To Do In O’ahu When You Visit With Kids, you will certainly be able to find plenty of fantastic options to fill your days.
Visiting Oʻahu and need a place to stay? We suggest Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa, Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, and Turtle Bay Resort. Alternatively, check out these 15 Best O’ahu Hotels and Resorts for Families.
Head to Maui to enjoy the slow pace of island life. Drive the famous Road to Hāna, take a helicopter tour, or enjoy a traditional luau dinner! Maui also has fantastic hikes, including the idyllic Pīpīwai Trail & Waimoku Falls. Of course, families visiting Hawaiʻi Island should see one of its five active volcanoes. Consider exploring Haleakalā National Park on Maui. Finally, use this article featuring the 15 Best Family Adventures on Maui to plan your itinerary.
In Maui, families can stay near Ka’anapali Beach by booking Hyatt Residence Club Maui, Ka’anapali Beach, or The Westin Maui Resort & Spa. Then, Wailea, on South Maui, offers Grand Wailea Maui, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, the Fairmont Kea Lani Maui, and Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea. Kīhei, between Kaʻanapali and Wailea, is where most rental condos are located. Finally, you can find more options for your Maui vacation with kids by reading about the Best Family Hotels in Maui for an Enchanting Vacation.
11 Best Places to Travel in Europe with Kids in 2023
When it comes to family travel, Europe is a top destination for many reasons. The continent is home to a plethora of different cultures, historical landmarks, and natural wonders, making it the perfect place to introduce your kids to new and exciting experiences. And with so many different countries to choose from, you’re sure to find the ideal destination for your family. If you’re looking for the best places to travel in Europe with kids in 2023, here are a few of our top picks for the top 23 places to travel in 2023 with kids!
Why not visit one of the 10 Best Places to Travel with Kids in Europe?
A mystical land of adventure and beauty, Iceland makes a perfect place to travel with kids! From glaciers to volcanoes and even seeing the famous Northern Lights, this gorgeous country is full of unique landscapes and panoramas, friendly locals, and plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained. While many families prefer to visit in the summer to take advantage of warmer temperatures, keep in mind the Northern Lights are best visible between September and mid-April.
Start your exploration in the capital city, Reykjavik, where families can walk along the scenic Reykjavik Bay, go shopping on Laugavegur, and visit the Reykjavik Family Park and Zoo. One of Iceland’s most iconic attractions, the Blue Lagoon is a must-visit for any family, no matter the season. Just a short drive from Reykjavik, this geothermal spa is perfect for relaxing and unwinding after a long day of exploring. Then, the Golden Circle is another popular tourist route. On this scenic drive, you’ll see some of the country’s most breathtaking sights, including the Gullfoss waterfall and Thingvellir National Park. Home to Europe’s largest glacier, Vatnajökull National Park is also an adventurer’s paradise. Finally, don’t miss adding these Best Things To Do In Iceland With Kids to your itinerary too!
For more things to do in Iceland with kids, read An Exciting Two-Week Iceland Itinerary For Families!
There are endless reasons to fall in love with London – from its fascinating history and impressive architecture to its world-class museums and tasty food. Families will find plenty to keep them busy during a vacation, whether taking in the sights from atop the London Eye, exploring the legendary Tower of London, or getting up close and personal with some of the city’s resident animals at ZSL London Zoo. And that’s just scratching the surface!
You’ll also find plenty of opportunities to see classic landmarks like Big Ben and Buckingham Palace, where kids can delight in the changing of the guards. London also has plenty of fascinating museums, including the Natural History Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and The National Gallery. Finally, don’t forget to browse Hamley’s Toy Store, partake in a kid-friendly afternoon tea, or take a Warner Brothers Studio Tour! No wonder London is one of the top places to travel in 2023 with kids.
Read our list of 13 Exciting Things to Do in London with Kids for more kid-friendly attractions in London!
Where to Stay in London with Kids
Looking for the best places to stay in London with kids? In Central London, we suggest Ham Yard Hotel. Or, overlook Buckingham Palace and the Royal Mews at The Rubens at the Palace! Some other kid-friendly hotels near the best attractions in London include the Hilton London Bankside and Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park. For a themed stay slightly outside of London, kids will love the safari-inspired rooms at the Chessington Safari Hotel! Check out more of our top recommendations for family-friendly London hotels here.
Scotland is full of fun and adventure, from the rolling hills of the Highlands to the mystical Isle of Skye. It’s no secret that this beautiful country has so many attractions to impress travelers, from its stunning scenery and castles to its friendly locals and rich culture. And what better way to explore it than with the whole family? Here’s where to have your Scotland vacation with kids:
- Glasgow is the perfect place to start your Scottish adventure. You’ll find plenty of kid-friendly activities on offer, including museums (like the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum), parks (like Glasgow Green), and fun activities (like go-karting at M&Ds Theme Park).
- Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital city, is another must-visit for any family trip to Scotland. From exploring Edinburgh Castle to climbing Arthur’s Seat, keeping the kids entertained won’t be hard.
- The Scottish Highlands, where you can visit one of the many castles dotting the countryside. Or, go hiking in one of the many national parks.
- The Isle of Skye, connected to the mainland by a bridge, is another great location in Scotland with kids. This 50-mile-long island is famous for its breathtaking scenery, from picturesque fishing villages to Medieval castles. Check out the capital city, Portree, a popular base for exploring the island.
In terms of natural beauty, few places in the world can rival Ireland! With its verdant hills, pristine coastline, and quaint small towns, it’s no wonder it’s often called the ‘Emerald Isle.’ And while it may be best known for its adults-only pubs, there’s plenty for kids to do in Ireland as well! When planning your trip to Ireland with kids, here are a few great cities to consider visiting!
- Dublin, the capital of Ireland, is full of history and culture. From the Dublin Zoo to the National Museum of Ireland, there are many museums, historical landmarks, and plenty of parks and playgrounds for kids. Don’t forget to stop by Trinity College to see the Book of Kells!
- Galway, a city on the west coast of Ireland, is known for its lively atmosphere. There are many street performers and buskers, as well as plenty of shops and restaurants. Start your visit by walking along Eyre Square, then head to the Galway Atlantaquaria or look around Salthill Promenade. Families with young children will also enjoy Leisureland, home to swimming pools, a mini-golf course, and more.
- Cork, in Southern Ireland, is a great city for foodies of all ages. Be sure to sample some of the local produce at one of the many farmers’ markets. Kids will love exploring the English Market and learning about all the different types of food available.
Rich in culture and history, The Netherlands is perfect for family travel. Although it’s often overshadowed by its larger neighbors, it has a lot to offer visitors, including beautiful countryside, quaint villages, and lively cities. Here are a few cities families love exploring in The Netherlands with kids.
- Amsterdam is the Netherlands’ capital and home to many famous museums, including the Rijksmuseum and the Anne Frank House. The city also offers a variety of kid-friendly activities, such as riding bikes through the park or taking a boat ride through the canals.
- Volendam, a picturesque fishing village, is filled with traditional Dutch culture. Located on Markermeer Lake, families love meandering seafood vendors and viewing paintings and sculptures at Volendam Museum.
- Rotterdam is also full of exciting things to see and do. Kids will enjoy the views from the Euromast tower, riding on the water taxi, and walking across the Erasmusbrug.
France is an obvious choice for a family vacation – who doesn’t love Paris? – but there is so much more to see in this vast and varied country. From the picturesque villages of Provence to the sandy beaches of the French Riviera, it’s undoubtedly one of the top 23 places to travel in 2023 with kids!
To make the most of your trip, consider spending a few days in Paris first. The City of Lights is not only one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but it’s also packed with kid-friendly attractions. From the Eiffel Tower to boat rides on the Seine and picnics in the parks, there’s something for everyone in this magical city. In particular, families really enjoy taking a Louvre Museum Private Family Tour Designed for Kids. Older kids and teens will certainly enjoy a tour of Les Catacombes de Paris. You can even fill your days by exploring some of the best desert spots in Paris. Then, add these Fantastic Things To Do In Paris With Young Kids to your list!
Families in Paris who want to stay near the Cathédrale Notre-Dam should check out Hôtel d’Aubusson. If you’d prefer to stay near attractions like the Champs-Élysees, Arc de Triomphe, and the Eiffel Tower, book a room at the Four Seasons Hotel George V. The Shangri-La Paris is a luxurious hotel just a 10-minute walk from the Eiffel Tower. To find more options for your next stay in Paris with kids, check out these best Paris hotels For families!
Additional Kid-Friendly Places in France
- Normandy is best known for its WWII history, but there are plenty of other activities to keep families busy. Visit the D-Day beaches, explore charming medieval towns like Bayeux, or see the Mont St Michel abbey.
- The Loire Valley, in central France, is known for its fairytale castles. The Loire Valley is also home to vineyards, rolling hills, medieval towns, and pristine forests – perfect for a family hike or bike ride!
- Provence, known for its picturesque lavender fields, Medieval towns, and historic sites, is ideal for a family vacation in Southern France. Families love places like Sault, Avignon, and Aix-en-Provence. For all-inclusive hotel suggestions in Provence, we recommend Club Med Opio.
- The French Riviera is another great option, with its stunning coastline, chic cities, and lively atmosphere. Enjoy the beautiful beaches of Nice, take in some culture in Cannes, or head to smaller destinations like Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat to escape the crowds! Find more cities to consider visiting when you read about the 20 Charming Towns and Villages To Visit In The South of France With Kids This Summer. Finally, for an all-inclusive stay on the French Riviera, consider Club Med Palmyre Atlantique.
Click here for Tips For Visiting The South Of France With Kids!
Want a family-friendly destination with plenty to offer in terms of culture, history, and natural beauty? Plan your next family getaway to Portugal! This charming European country is home to colorful cities like Lisbon and Porto, as well as stunning coastal towns and villages. And with its mild climate and friendly locals, it’s an ideal place to travel with kids. Here’s where to begin your Portugal adventures with kids!
In Lisbon, be sure to visit the Castle of Sao Jorge, ride on the city’s iconic Tram 28, and explore the many museums and art galleries. Animal lovers can’t miss visiting the Lisbon Zoo or the Lisbon Aquarium. Plus, if you’re looking for a quick day trip, visit nearby Sinta, which looks like it’s straight from a fairytale! Then, plan your trip by reading more about the 18 Amazing Things to Do in Lisbon With Kids.
In search of the perfect family accommodation in Portugal? If you’re staying in Lisbon or making the city your home base, we suggest Lumiares Hotel & Spa, Penha Longa Resort, and Olissippo Lapa Palace Hotel. For more Lisbon hotel suggestions, check out our list of where to stay in Lisbon with kids!
Located in the north of Portugal, Porto is also worth a visit, especially for its beautiful bridges and medieval architecture. Families will love the abundance of history and easy-going locals. Take a boat ride along the River Douro, go for a swim at one of the city’s beaches, or stroll through the gardens at the Crystal Palace. Just outside of the city, spend a fun day learning about animals at the Zoo Santo Inácio. Traveling to Porto with a toddler? Here’s how to spend an Amazing 1-Week Porto Itinerary With Toddlers.
Portugal’s southernmost region, The Algarve, is also an excellent choice for young kids. It’s famous for its dramatic coastline and beautiful beaches, plus there are a variety of lovely resorts for families. After relaxing on the beach, head to Zoomarine, Lagos Zoo, or book a dolphin-watching cruise. Kids won’t be able to get enough of splashing at Aqualand Algarve, an exciting water park for the whole family.
Spain should definitely be on your family’s radar for 2023! From the world’s best art museums to idyllic beaches, the food is amazing, the people are friendly, and the scenery is simply stunning. Not to mention, there are tons of activities for kids of all ages! The climate is perfect for spending time outdoors, and there are plenty of historic landmarks and attractions to keep little ones entertained.
Perfect for families who want a mix of beach days and culture, Barcelona is one of Spain’s most popular tourist destinations. Visit Parc Guell, an enchanting park designed by Antoni Gaudi. Families can also learn something new at the Chocolate Museum, see the famous Sagrada Familia, or spend the day at Tibidabo Amusement Park!
If you need somewhere to stay in Barcelona with your kids, here are a few great options! Families love the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, located in the heart of Eixample. If you want to stay near the beach, try Hotel Arts Barcelona, which has a pool for kids. Leonardo Hotel Barcelona Las Ramblas and Catalonia Ramblas also have pools and spacious rooms. For more suggestions, check out our list of the best family hotels in Barcelona by neighborhood!
Additional Kid-Friendly Places in Spain
- Valencia is another beautiful coastal city that’s perfect for families. Kids will love spending time at Malvarrosa Beach; there are also plenty of parks and open spaces to explore. The City of Arts and Sciences is a must-see for any family, plus don’t miss the immersive zoo experience at Valencia Bioparc!
- Seville is a fantastic option in Southern Spain. Kids can explore the city’s historic center, take a boat ride on the river, or visit one of the city’s many museums, like the Museum of Popular Arts and Traditions. Fill your days with these Amazing Things to Do in Seville With Kids.
- Malaga is another great option in Spain with kids. Families can meet dolphins, penguins, and other fantastic creatures here at the Selwo Marina Delfinarium.
- Spain also has a ton of all-inclusive hotel options for a family beach vacation. We recommend Valentin Son Bou, Protur Palmeras Playa Hotel, Iberostar Selection Anthelia, and Zafiro Mallorca.
With its classic Mediterranean coastline, rolling hills, vineyards, and centuries-old towns, Italy is a stunning destination that has something for every type of traveler. From the world-famous city of Rome to the beaches of the Amalfi Coast, your family will never be bored, thanks to the abundance of kid-friendly activities and attractions. Here are a few suggestions for your vacation to Italy with kids.
READ NEXT: 10 Best Places To Visit In Italy With Kids
If you’re looking for an action-packed holiday, start with Rome. There are plenty of things to see and do in the Eternal City, such as learning how gladiators lived at the Colosseum, exploring the museums of Vatican City, and making a wish in the Trevi Fountain. Those traveling with young kids will adore playing at Explora Children’s Museum, while tweens and teens will want to take an Ancient Mosaic Workshop or embark on a 3-Hour Bike Tour. Plus, add these 35 Fun & Educational Things To Do In Rome Kids Will Love to your itinerary.
For something a little more relaxed, why not head to Florence? Families can explore world-famous art galleries and museums, such as the Uffizi Gallery, or stroll around the picturesque streets admiring the architecture. Start your exploration of Florence with A Family-Friendly Private Tour of the city. One of the first things you must see when visiting Florence with kids is the Duomo. Take in the sights and sounds of the piazza outside, or head inside and tour this historic building. You can even take a Florence Cooking Class to Learn How to Make Gelato and Pizza. Then, check out these 20+ Things You Cannot Miss When Visiting Florence With Kids.
Florence boasts plenty of kid-friendly hotels to choose from! For your Florence vacation with kids, try the Hotel Savoy, The Hotel Regency Firenze, or the Hotel Lungarno. Finally, be sure to check the availability of these 15 Best Hotels In Florence For Families too.
Venice is another excellent option for families. Take a ride on a gondola, watch a glassblowing demonstration, or go on a tour of St. Mark’s Basilica (don’t miss the view from the top!). Then, Piazza San Marco is a must-stop for anyone in Venice. You can even take a Create Your Own Carnival Mask Workshop or a Chocolate Tasting Experience. When you’re ready to plan your Venice getaway with kids, be sure to include the 16+ Best Sights and Activities in Venice For Kids (And Parents Too). The city can be pretty crowded, so be prepared to visit during peak season.
Families adore Puglia for its beautiful beaches, charming towns, and delicious seafood. While Puglia may not be as well known as other parts of Italy, it’s definitely worth a visit, especially with kids. Here, kids can splash and play on cozy beaches in Monopoli or Polignano a Mare. Inland, visit a Masseria to learn about traditional farming in this area, including how these small farms make tasty foods like mozzarella and ricotta. You’ll find great options near Ostuni. Then, who doesn’t want to stroll through the famous trulli of Alberobello? In fact, Puglia is ideal for an Italian road trip with kids due to its quaint towns and seaside cities. Decide where to go and what to do when you read about the 9 Best Places To Visit In Puglia With Kids.
Additional Kid-Friendly Places in Italy
- Sicily is perfect for families who want a mix of historical attractions, and gorgeous beaches. It can be trickier to get to, but it’s absolutely lovely once you arrive!
- Sardinia is ideal for families looking to get off the beaten track. This island has stunning beaches and shallow blue waters – perfect for a family beach vacation in Italy!
READ NEXT: 16 Exciting European Beach Destinations For Families (including options in Italy!)
Croatia is an enchanting destination for children, with its fascinating history, picturesque villages, and stunning coastline. It’s also a playground for outdoor enthusiasts, featuring a diverse landscape of mountains, forests, and waterfalls. No wonder it’s one of the top 23 places to travel in 2023 with kids! Here are some of the best cities to visit in Croatia with kids.
- Dubrovnik is a beautiful, historic city that’s perfect for families. There are plenty of things to see and do, including taking a cable car up to the top of Mount Srd for majestic views. Or, explore the Old Town and walk along the city walls. There are also plenty of beaches to relax on in Dubrovnik. Take a boat ride to one of the nearby islands for a more active adventure.
- Hvar offers families a chance to relax and enjoy some time on the beach. But, there’s also plenty else to do in terms of history and culture. Visit the Cathedral of St. Stephen or wander the charming cobblestone streets of Hvar Town.
- Zagreb, is another must-visit, from exploring ancient churches and nearby castles outside of the city to visiting one of the many museums or parks. Families will especially enjoy a ride on the funicular up to Mount Strossmayer for panoramic city views. Close to Zagreb, families also love exploring Medvedgrad, a 13th-century medieval fortress.
- For an outdoor adventure in Croatia with kids, Plitvice Lakes National Park showcases 16 cascading lakes, 90 waterfalls, and lush forest walks. Alternatively, Krka National Park is known for its waterfalls (the biggest is 721 feet high!) and beautiful hikes through olive groves and woods.
Greece is a land of antiquity, with a history and culture dating back thousands of years. It’s also very scenic, with stunning beaches, dramatic mountainscapes, and verdant forests. Plus, there are plenty of activities for kids of all ages, from exploring ancient ruins to swimming in the crystal-clear waters of the Aegean Sea. All of these factors make it an ideal destination for families looking to travel in 2023! Here are a few places to go on your Greece family vacation.
As the capital city of Greece, Athens is a must-visit for any family vacation. This historic city will fascinate your kids with its many ancient ruins, including the Parthenon. There are also plenty of kid-friendly museums, like the Hellenic Children’s Museum. Athens is also a great starting point for exploring other parts of Greece, including the surrounding islands.
The Greek Islands
Of course, families who want a relaxed beach vacation can also visit one of Greece’s many islands. Crete is one of the biggest and most popular for families. It’s home to the charming town of Chania and Chrissi Akti Beach, which offers soft sand and shallow water for snorkeling. Families also love Naxos, Kefalonia, Corfu, and more! Learn more about which Greek islands may be best for your family by reading about the 8 Stunning Greek Islands For Families To Visit On Vacation.
Wondering about the best hotels on the Greek Islands for families? If you’re looking for all-inclusive options, check out Ammos Resort on the island of Kos or Princess Andriana Resort & Spa on Rhodes. Then, those visiting Crete can consider top-notch options like Iberostar Creta Panorama & Mare, Creta Maris Resort, Fodele Beach & Water Park Holiday Resort, and Kiani Beach Resort Family.
Additional Kid-Friendly Places in Greece
- Delphi was once considered the center of the world by the Greeks. Today, it’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site and well worth a visit with your family.
- Meteora, in Northern Greece, is a unique destination with several monasteries perched atop high rock formations. It’s a great place to explore with kids and learn about Greek Orthodoxy and monastic life.
- Thessaloniki is a vibrant city and offers a lot of fun for travel families, with its historic churches, museums, and bustling Aristotelous Square.
Greece is also one of 16 Exciting European Beach Destinations For Families!
2 Best Places to Travel in Mexico and Central America with Kids in 2023
When it comes to family travel, few places in the world can match the beauty, adventure, and overall experience of Mexico and Central America. With so many amazing destinations to choose from, it can be tough to narrow down the best places to travel with kids in 2023. Here are some suggestions!
As one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, Costa Rica is an ideal destination for families who want to experience nature and wildlife up close. With miles of coastline on both the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, there are plenty of relaxed beach days to be had in this Central American country. And for those looking for adventure, there are many national parks to explore, as well as zip-lining and surfing opportunities!
It’s no secret Costa Rica is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Playa Hermosa, Manuel Antonio Beach, and Playa Flamingo are just a few of the stunning options that your family will love. Families can also go zip-lining at El Santuario, an adventure park featuring the longest zip line in Costa Rica! Animal lovers can’t miss Tortuguero National Park, where you’ll get the chance to see turtles hatching! Kids can also visit The Butterfly Conservatory or the Sloth Sanctuary. When you’re in the mood for a sweet treat, you can dig into homemade chocolate on a real cacao plantation during a behind-the-scenes Don Olivio Chocolate Tour. Don’t forget to include these 15 Amazing Things to Do in Costa Rica with Kids in your adventures.
Where to Stay in Costa Rica with Kids
Need somewhere to stay in Costa Rica with kids? For an all-inclusive option, families love The Westin Reserva Conchal, an All-inclusive Golf Resort and Spa, JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa, and Dreams Las Mareas Costa Rica. Other fantastic options that are not all-inclusive include W Hotel Reserva Conchal, the Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, and Arenas Del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort. For more suggestions, including beachside resorts and tropical lodges, check out our list of the best Costa Rica Resorts For Kids!
We’ll make it easy for you; Book our recommended 7-Day Costa Rica Tour for Families!
Mexico is a fantastic place to travel with kids! With its stunning beaches, colorful culture, and delicious food, what’s not to love? There are also plenty of activities to keep little ones entertained, from swimming and snorkeling to exploring ancient ruins. Unsurprisingly, it’s one of the top places to travel in 2023 with kids!
Featuring beautiful turquoise waters and white sand beaches, Cancun is a perfect place to relax and enjoy some family time. Soak up the sun at Playa Tortugas, Playa Delfines, and Playa Chacmool. Or, visit the Croco Cun Zoo. Then, many families enjoy taking a pirate dinner cruise. You can also do a bit of shopping at La Isla Mall. Finally, don’t forget about these 6 Things To Do In Cancun With Kids.
Families searching for accommodations in Cancun will love Moon Palace The Grand – Cancun, Hyatt Ziva Cancun, or the Nizuc Resort and Spa. Then, check out these 12 Best All-Inclusive Resorts In Cancun For Families.
Additional Kid-Friendly Places in Mexico
- Playa del Carmen is a charming town with plenty of beaches and restaurants for families. It’s a bit more relaxed than Cancun, making it a great alternative for families seeking a low-key destination. These fun Things to Do in Playa del Carmen that Kids Will Love will certainly allow for an exciting family vacation! Families can also explore Xel-Ha, Xcaret, and Xplor, all close to Playa del Carmen. Additionally, families can also check out the nearby Rio Secreto Caves. Finally, families seeking a place to stay can try the Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, the Grand Velas Riviera Maya, or Hotel Xcaret Mexico.
- Los Cabos offers a great option on the west coast (ideal for families on the west coast of the US!). It showcases farm-to-table restaurants, whale-watching tours, and attractions like The Glass Factory! Be sure to add these 5 Best Things To Do In Los Cabos With Kids to your itinerary too. Looking for family-friendly resorts in Los Cabos? Try the Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal, Montage Los Cabos, or the One and Only Palmilla. Alternatively, you can review this list of Family Resorts in Los Cabos Kids Will Love.
2 Best Places to Travel in Asia with Kids in 2023
What better way to bond as a family than by exploring some of the best places to travel in Asia with kids in 2023? From the jungles of Thailand to the streets of Tokyo, there are so many unique places to discover with your little ones. Keep reading to find out more of the top places in travel in 2023 with kids!
Take your family to Thailand for an incredible adventure in 2023! This Southeast Asian country is known for its lush tropical forests, vibrant coral reefs, and stunning beaches. Thai culture is also rich and fascinating, and kids will love exploring the many temples and learning about the unique history and traditions. And, of course, Thailand is renowned for its delicious food – your little ones will surely be delighted by all the exotic flavors on offer! Here are a few cities in Thailand to add to your itinerary.
- Bangkok, Thailand’s capital city, offers everything from temples to street food. Certainly, there’s plenty to keep kids entertained. Visit iconic landmarks like the Grand Palace and Wat Pho, take a boat ride through the canals, or go shopping at one of the many markets.
- Chiang Mai is a laid-back city in northern Thailand. It is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. Visit temples like Wat Doi Suthep or Wat Umong, or explore one of the many nature trails.
- Phuket is a must-visit for any beach lover, with its stunning beaches and crystal-clear water. Take a dip in the Andaman Sea, go snorkeling or diving, or just relax on the sand and soak up the sun.
- Koh Samui, another popular beach destination, offers beautiful beaches as well as plenty of activities for kids. Visit attractions like the Tarnim Magical Garden or take a boat ride out to see the famous Big Buddha statue.
- Phi Phi Islands is another option for fun in the sun and sand. These gorgeous islands offer idyllic shorelines, crystal-clear waters, and plenty of activities for kids, such as snorkeling and kayaking!
There’s something special about Japan that keeps kids coming back for more. Maybe it’s the wide-eyed wonder of seeing Mt. Fuji for the first time. Or perhaps it’s the unique cuisine that’s both delicious and fun to eat. Whatever the reason, there’s no time like 2023 to take a family vacation to Japan! From the bright lights and big city feel of Tokyo to the serene beauty of the Japanese countryside, there are plenty of one-of-a-kind activities and attractions. And with convenient public transportation, it’s a very user-friendly country for travelers. Here are some cities in Japan to add to your trip with kids.
- Tokyo is a metropolis full of culture and entertainment. It’s also the capital and most populous city in Japan. From the Imperial Palace to Meiji Shrine and Tsukiji Fish Market, there are countless historical and modern landmarks to explore. Not to mention, Tokyo is also home to many kid-friendly attractions like Tokyo Disneyland!
- Kyoto, located in western Japan, is a must-see for any child interested in Japanese history and culture. Families can explore temples like Kiyomizu-dera and Saihō-ji, stroll through the Philosopher’s Walk, or participate in a tea ceremony.
- Osaka is known for its delicious food, lively atmosphere, and interesting neighborhoods. Be sure to visit Universal Studios Japan, check out the city during Cherry Blossom season, or experience a traditional Japanese hot spring at SpaWorld.
- Nara is famous for its many deer that roam freely around Nara Park. Kids will also enjoy seeing Todai-ji, a Buddhist temple with the world’s largest bronze statue of Buddha inside.
- A family ski trip is also a great way to experience Japan with kids. Check out Hakuba Valley, Niseko United, and more of the best ski resorts in Japan for families!
Take a Family Cruise
Looking for a travel option with multiple locations? Or, perhaps you are open to location and seeking a low-key way to see the world? Cruises are a great way to spend quality time with your kids while also getting in some much-needed relaxation! From toddlers to teens, plenty of activities are onboard to keep them entertained, and they can make friends with other kids on the trip too. But which so many options out there, you may be wondering about the best cruises for families.
If your kid is a Disney fan, taking a Disney Cruise is a must. Families can enjoy pool days, character meet-and-greets, Broadway-caliber shows, and more! Disney Cruises usually travel to the Bahamas, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, and more locations in the Caribbean, as well as Alaska and even Europe.
Another great family cruise line is Royal Caribbean, which offers an Adventure Ocean Program for kids ages 3-17. Families also love Norweigan, Carnival Cruises, and other options on our list of best cruise lines for kids.
We hope you liked this list of the Top 23 Places to Travel in 2023 With Kids! From the ancient ruins of Europe to the beaches of Mexico, there are so many unique destinations to discover in 2023. Enjoy this year of traveling with your kids!
*Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some of the attractions, accommodations, or things to do on this list may be closed. Please ensure availability before making your decision.
*This post may contain affiliate links that may earn us a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links in no way inform the hotels, sights, products, or other recommendations included in our articles. All opinions and recommendations expressed here are compiled from submissions submitted by the generous members of our Families Who Love To Travel community.
Thanks for reading!
Love our content?
Stay in the know by subscribing to our weekly newsletter.
Immerse yourself in a world of limitless exploration by joining us on Instagram at families.love.travel.
Join our vibrant Facebook community, "Families Who Love to Travel," (where family travelers like you can ask for advice and share tips with other families!).
Plus, you can read our latest articles by following our Facebook page.
Shop for Family Travel Memorabilia on Shop Families Love Travel.
Everyone knows that Yellowstone National Park makes for a classic family vacation. Strolling the boardwalks...
Beaches Turks and Caicos may not seem like a typical vacation destination for a UK...
If you’re traveling to the Cayman Islands with kids, there’s some important information you need...
Travel Gift Ideas
National Park With Kids
Family Travel Tips
Families Who Love To Travel contributor Meghan Oaks provides her 10 best tips for your...
When you're planning a family vacation, it's important to pack travel toys that will keep...
Cruising is a great option for families with babies who want to relax and not...